To obtain this license, you must do the following:
- Pass a medical examination administered by an FAA designated doctor.
- Be at least 16 years old to solo, 17 to receive your license.
- Pass a written examination, consisting of multiple choice questions, with a score of 70% or better.
- Have a minimum of 40 flight hours: 20 hrs dual (with an instructor), 8 hrs cross country/3 hrs dual and 5 hrs solo, 3 hrs night flying/10 takeoffs and landings, at least 5 hrs ground instruction in preparation for the written exam
- Successfully complete a flight test given by an FAA designated Examiner. At the completion of this stage, you have achieved your first step – the Private Pilot Certificate.